SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- An employee at a Syracuse steam plant was burned in a chemical spill. The Syracuse Fire Department says they arrived just minutes after getting a report that a man sustained chemical burns around noon Thursday.
They say the victim, who is an employee of the SU Steam Plant located off East Taylor Street, was doing maintenance work on a sulfuric acid line when it broke. Officials say the victim was taken to Upstate University Hospital with burns to his eyes.
Around one to two gallons of acid spilled, but crews were able to neutralize it and have turned the investigation over to the steam plant.